Good Wool for All

Musings on knitting and life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: 6 Miles from Lost City, On Clear Creek, in Oklahoma, United States

I'm a quiet soul living in the foothills of the Ozarks in rural Oklahoma. I am not of the plains - I am of the hills, valleys, water and wind.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Icarus - RIP

New life for a previous project.

Last year I knitted the Icarus Shawl. It was my first full blown attempt at lace. Handspun yarn of unknown yardage. I was delighted with the yarn. It was a novice's folly. Over and over I kept revising the pattern because my gut just knew I'd run out. Well - you can read the story below if you're so inclined. I'm not about to relive the horrors.

While bicycling today and knitting in my head (does every knitter do that?) I decided to completely rip out the shawl. Recover the yarn, wash it gently, re-skein it, dry it, put it on the swift and have fresh yarn. I've an idea of how to measure it in the process too.

My current plan for the yarn is a nice stole. Something lacy with a center panel that will be just a good repeat pattern. When I finished the first knitting object (see how I no longer call it by it's name?) I bought a skein of complimentary lace yarn from Knitpicks and that will be the outer border of the new stole.

5 Comments:

Blogger Janine said...

would you consider knitting a mystery stole? There's a yahoo group that is doing just that. The host puts up a new "clue" each Friday which consists of 50 or so rows of the pattern. It just started Friday (June 29). Just a thought...

Thanks for the comment on the socks. It feels good, but I usually have a day or two after where I'm at a loss of what to work on.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Lost City Denise said...

Anything with this yarn is a Mystery! I just don't know how many yards there really are. I tried the measuring 10 yards and weighing it but my soap-making scale only goes to the single gram, not half gram, which isn't accurate enough for such light weight yarn.
But...I have other yarn that would do nicely for a stole. Can you share the yahoo group link that is doing the mystery stole? Thanks for the idea!

Soooo. What are you doing next???

7:03 AM  
Blogger Janine said...

I think I'm going to knit Josephine from the new Interweave. I knit the entire back, then measured, then ripped when I realized it was gonna be a tent on me. (It was huge!!!!)

9:38 AM  
Blogger Lost City Denise said...

Hate when that happens! Josephine is very pretty! I thought about doing it also. What yarn are you/will you use?

So far the Notre Dame has a back and a dozen rows on the front completed.

I think I'm going to bale on the MS3 - already! After joining I saw several samples that have three clues complete. It's just not something I'd wear. Too cutesy.

Are you going to the fiber festival in Kellyville in two weeks? Should be fun!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Janine said...

I really really can't wait for the fiber festival!

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home